All set for summer? Summer is a great time for students to relax with a book and experience the pleasure of reading just for fun! And research has shown that reading just five books can protect students from a drop in reading levels known as the “summer slide”. Checkout tips for parents to keep your kids reading this summer.
Patton Summer Reading Challenge
Read 1,400 minutes this summer! (That’s an average of just 20 minutes a day!)
Keep track and turn in the reading log when we come back to school. Members of the 1,400 Club will be invited to a popsicle party to celebrate summer reading!
Take the 5 Book Dive – Keep your brain alive! Read 5 (or more) books that you like! Keep track of the books you read on a 5 Book Dive bookmark. Bring it back to school in the fall and turn it in to your school librarian to be recognized as a Summer Reader.
BookPeople is a 5 Book Dive Partner! Show your completed 5 Book Dive reading log at BookPeople to get a $5 gift certificate!
The Austin Public Library is your free ticket to a summer full of reading and loads of fun activities this June through August. You can also win prizes for reading! Join the Summer Reading Program. It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Pick up a reading log at the Library or print one at austinsummerreading.org.
- For every 20 minutes you read, color in a section. Color sections by number to display a hidden picture!
- Return your completed log to any of the Austin Public Library’s 21 locations between July and August, 2018.
Congratulations, you did it! You’ve earned a prize book. You can earn one prize book per summer.For more information APL’s Summer Reading Program call 512-974-7400, Ask a Librarian or use #AustinSRP.!
Check out the full list of Summer Reading Program events.
Welcome to the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge! The 2018 theme is “A Magical Summer of Reading,” which comes to life on the website with the beautiful Harry Potter illustrations by Jim Kay. Kick-off your summer reading plan with these free resources! From book lists to reading logs, your family will be all set for a successful summer.
- Book List (all ages): English and Spanish
- Reading Pledge: English and Spanish
- Reading Log: English and Spanish
- Certificate of Achievement: English and Spanish
The Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program is here to help you on your way, encouraging you to read books of your own choosing and earn a FREE book, simply by following these three easy steps:
- Read any eight books this summer and record them in your Summer Reading Journal (English or Español). Tell us which part of the book is your favorite, and why.
- Bring your completed journal to a Barnes & Noble store between May 15th and September 3rd, 2018. Find a Store
- Choose your FREE reading adventure from the book list featured on the back of the journal.
Feed Your Brain® & fuel the power of your imagination this summer. Download and use this reading log in June and July. Add up your minutes and have your parent or guardian initial each week. Once you’ve reached 300 minutes or more, bring your reading log into your local HPB store to claim your Bookworm Bucks on or before August 30, 2018. Need some suggestions on what to read? These reading recs will cast a spell on you.