A room parent facilitates communication between parents and the teacher, school administration and the PTA, and supports the teacher in needs that may arise. This facilitation can take many different forms and can require anything from a minor volunteer commitment shared with other parents to a large responsibility.
The responsibilities of a room parent vary from school to school, from teacher to teacher and grade to grade. If you are considering becoming a room parent, these are some things a room parent may (but may not) be asked to do:
- Send out reminders—via email, phone or notes that go home with the kids—about upcoming events, meetings, field trips and needs for donations or volunteers.
- Post events to a classroom blog or website.
- Collect donations for and purchase gifts for the teacher for special occasions like birthdays, Teacher Appreciation Days, the end of the school year etc.
- Call or email parents to obtain donations of supplies for the classroom and/or events (i.e., boxes of tissues the classroom or cupcakes for class parties).Call or email parents to line up chaperones for field trips.
- Find volunteers to help in the classroom, if needed.
- Act as a resource by answering questions for parents new to the school or class.